If this is your first ecommerce site launch or it’s been awhile since you put up your original site and now you are working through a redesign, chances are good that the process is a bit overwhelming. What’s more, you probably realize that you don’t know what you don’t know, so how can you possibly ask questions about it?
The key to understanding anything lies in asking questions.
Here are some questions you should consider asking as you begin the ecommerce launch process.
- Could you please explain what you mean? If your ecommerce partner says something that you don’t understand, ask for clarification immediately. Continue to ask questions until you understand. A good partner won’t mind.
- What is our project timeline? Ask for major milestones within the project and projected completion dates for each milestone. This will help you gauge whether your project is on track or not and make adjustments as needed.
- What can I do to move this along? If time is a critical factor, ask your ecommerce provider about how you can help speed up the process. Often times, considerable time can be gained by understanding deadlines that hinge on your company’s input and working to exceed them, specifically on:
- Providing product information or specifications
- Managing images and other content
- Client review and approval turnaround times
- How will this change affect our timeline and budget? Understand in advance how changes to the project scope will affect the final delivery date, the price, or both. This will help decide which changes might be best tabled for Phase 2.
- How will we be billed? Find out ahead of time not only how you will be billed for the project as scoped, but how out-of-scope changes will be billed. This will help you avoid any unexpected surprises.
- Who is our “go to” contact? Strong partner relationships are the key to the successful launch of an enterprise ecommerce site. Knowing who to contact when questions arise from the beginning will save you a lot of time and frustration later.
Asking questions throughout each phase of your ecommerce site development and launch will ensure the greatest chance of success for your ecommerce project. Just make sure you always ask.
Learn more about how to maximize the success of your ecommerce site by downloading the white paper, B2B Ecommerce Success – Seven Questions to Consider When Beginning an Ecommerce Initiative.